The Federal Government has called on Kaduna State governor, Mallam Nasir el-Rufai, not to escalate the ongoing labour crisis in the state to make it uncontrollable as other union joined NLC in the strike.
According to Nigerian Tribune, Federal Government has appealed to the workers to cut down on their actions and not to tamper with the electricity and water supply to avoid bringing more sufferings to the people of Kaduna State.
The Minister of Labour and Employment Senator Chris Ngige on Tuesday made known the appeal said the Kaduna strike had already skyrocket into a national strike and picketing. He, therefore, appealed to the leaders of the labour centres to step down the action to make way for discussion.
“We hope and also pray the Kaduna State governor not to escalate matters to such a level where it becomes uncontrollable,” a statement signed by the Deputy Director, Press and Public Relations in the ministry, Charles Akpan, said.
The minister said the Federal Government had waded into the national strike and picketing in Kaduna State by the two labour centres, appealing to el-Rufai, President of the Nigerian Labour Congress, Ayuba Wabba, as well as President of the Trade Union Congress, Qadiri Olaleye, to immediately cease-fire.
This came after the disruption of the workers’ peaceful protest on Tuesday by the thugs alleged to be sent by the state government, labour has threatened to embark on a nationwide strike and vowed to shut all power installations across the country.
You will recall, RainSMediaRadio reported El-Rufai declared Ayuba Wabba and other NLC leaders wanted ‘handsome a reward,’ which prompted the response of Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers (NUPENG), threatened to shut down all facilities nationwide if any of the labour leaders are hurt.
In the report by Nigerian Tribune, NUPENG expressed its dissatisfaction over the violent turn out of NLC peaceful protests caused by hoodlums in Kaduna State.
Speaking in the statement issued by the National President and General Secretary, Comrade Williams Akporecha, and Comrade Afolabi Olawale, the union called on the Federal Government to immediately call on Governor Nasir El-Rufai to order.
The statement reads: “Consequently, the union reiterates that no labour leaders or workers as the case may be, be harmed, harassed, maimed, humiliated or victimized during this 5-day peaceful protests in the state.
“Our union is raising this alarm following the very reliable report of the clandestine move of Governor Nasir El-RUfai to hurt and put the lives of NLC President, Comrade Ayuba Wabba and other labour leaders to danger.
“NUPENG, therefore, warns that if any harm is inflicted on any of the members of organized labour, the leadership of the union will not hesitate to call on all our members throughout the nation for a total shut down of all our services in the upstream, midstream and downstream sectors of the oil and gas industry.
“In the light of the above, we are therefore putting all NUPENG members nationwide on red alert and may at very short notice of five hours call for a nationwide industrial action if the situation arises
“Our solidarity remains constant for the union makes us strong,” the statement declared.