
Military officers in Guinea-Bissau have taken over the government, halted the country’s electoral process, and announced that they will remain in charge until further notice.
The move follows Monday’s election, where both President Umaro Embaló and opposition candidate Fernando Dias claimed victory before the electoral commission released official results. Each side said it had crossed the 50 percent mark required to avoid a run-off.
ECOWAS said the period leading to the election was marked by security, political, and institutional concerns. The government had earlier reported stopping an alleged coup attempt before campaign activities began. Mamadu Ture, the deputy chief of staff, had accused Daba Nawalna, a brigadier-general, of leading the supposed plot.

Gabon Coup Leader-Turned-President Nguema Launches New Political Party
Embaló later told Jeune Afrique on Wednesday that he was arrested around 1pm in his office at the presidential palace. Other senior officials, including Biaguê Na Ntan, the armed forces chief of staff; Botché Candé, the interior minister; and Ture, were also detained.
The officers released a statement under the name “High Military Command for the Restoration of National Security and Public Order”, saying their action was a response to what they described as a destabilisation plan involving unnamed politicians and a known drug trafficker, according to Africa Report.
Embaló described the events as a coup and said no force was used during his arrest.
The electoral commission is expected to announce the official election results on Thursday.